Re: Re: Re: 7r5beta bug report (/etc/mtab)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 11:14:32 CET

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 03:54:07AM +0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:

> >On the other hand, to test this kind of script is difficult, because
> >simply the sustem hang!
>
> Very true, but I have spent the evening cloning to and from every possible combination of filesystem using the above hack and it works with ALL permutations.
> Combinations or permutations ?? now there's a interesting discussion point..

Works also with LOOP muLinux? yes, but info showed with "df" are not
correct in this case. In /linuxrc you find:

                # echo "Try mount $DEVICE as msdos"
                       # mount -t msdos -o defaults $DEVICE /mnt && echo "mount OK"
                # losetup /dev/loop0 /mnt/linux/mulinux.img

As you see, /linurc try to mount the DOS partition, in /mnt, searching
for a loopback root as "mulinux.img". If you destroy /etc/mtab, the
mount point /mnt appairs free, and this is false.
Of course, this /mnt must be fixed, using a specific mount point,
leaving /mnt for the user.

Same problem will happen with EXT2 and El-Torrito muLinux: they
works, but "fd" show incorrect status, because something is mounted
earlier in /linuxrc.

The best solution is to improve the test a the top of /etc/rc.4:
do the "mount -f" only if the root entry isn't in the mtab.
Some test required.

> >Removing /tmp/modules works, but this make to boot more slow.
>
> Yes we need the cache agreed, but is there any reason why you have symlinked /lib/modules/2.0.36 to /tmp/modules/prefered rather than have the modules directly in /lib/modules/2.0.36 as is the normal case with Linux ??

Oh, I do that for a crucial question: /lib is cabled in the little ROOT
segment; the modules are taken, instead, from various addons, and
dispached in /tmp/modules the very first time they are loaded.

Take a look to /etc/modules.path:

---------------------
/tmp/modules
/usr/local/modules
/usr/X11R6/modules
/gcc/modules
/startup/modules

muLinux Setup script search in this order a modules: first in the cache,
last from the startup floppy: it search in any directory, first for
unpacked material, then for packed archives.

Michele,
Fractured Secret Society

"Fracti bello, fatisque repulsi" , Eneide, Publio Virgilio Marone