Re: [mu BUG] LOOP cloning do not works

From: Michele Andreoli (quisque@tin.it)
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 21:01:17 CET

rn Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 05:55:06PM +0100, Arno Wilhelm nicely wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried out Mulinux and like it very much.
> Refering to your mail talking about a "El Torrino" MuLinux:
>
> I like the idea very much, because it give`s one more freedom of configuring
> MuLinux. For my part I would be very interested in a MuLinux with Kernel
> 2.2x on because the routing facilities are much better, and the number of
> supported hardware is also higher. So it would be very easy to set up a
> mulinux system, that works as http.- ftp.- fax .-samba,- dialin.-dialout.-
> print server, router etc.
> I know that it was not the initial purpose of mulinux, but still I like the
> idea....

To migrate toward 2.2.x kernels is very easy in muLinux, because scripts
do not need conversion. Only ifconfig and route does. But actual
structure will definivitely broken, because floppy disk limit is very
strict, believe me.

A cdrom-muLinux is another project, different from floppy-muLinux. We have
to deal with a read-only-media and something in the structure must to be
changed. How to store profiles? In [optional] floppy disk?

A CDROM is an enormous work space and many of muLinux trick simply will loss
meaning in this new scenario.

A such project is a too much ambitious project for a single mantainer.

> If you have some experience with creating bootable cdroms with mulinux
> please let me know. ( Especially about the details on how to create it :-] )

I've no experiences. I'm experimenting a this moment.
I succeded in creating a zip muLinux, but IOMEGA zip is a rare
device.

What I can resonably plan is to add "mkisofs" and "cdrecord" in muLinux
and to attempt some "cdclone" super script.

If "cdclone" fail to detect the cd-writer device, it should BTW realize
an El Torrito image for the system that user might want to use
Windows for burn the cd [sorry for my english, but I never seen
a grammar book in my life: I learned french at school]

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
 Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen