Re: [mu SETUP] 2.2 kernel / pcmcia support ?

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@linhelp10.de)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 18:34:56 CET

On 02.11.1999, 18:22:09, Philip Lijnzaad wrote:

> I read in the mailing list archive that PCMCIA isn't
> suppported, but that it would work with a 2.2 kernel.
> Is that so, and if so, are there any plans to move to
> the 2.2 kernel any time soon?
> Basically, it would be really really good if PCMCIA
> cards are supported, as I imagine quite a few older
> laptops will benefit from muLinux if the machines can
> be hooked up to an ethernet or phone line. Cheers,

That's surely true but please keep in mind that reviing old Laptops in
not the *primary* gola of muLinux.

Of course you can use it for that purpose but more important is the
following concept to be found in
http://sunsite.auc.dk/mulinux/mu/readme.html
(Section: 2. Who is muLinux for?):

'' muLinux is not intended for the generic mouse-based user,
   who wouldn't be very happy with its spartan interface,
   but for the Linux fan in general, or the curious person
   who wants to look inside scripts to understand why an hack
   as muLinux sendmail (only 1216 bytes) is really able to
   deliver mail with the correct return-address. Moreover, a
   portable Linux would be ideal in a number of situations:
   maintenance in different places, as a demonstration, or
   just to see it booting at times, for no particular reason. ''

IMHO it might be that your idea would mean a loss of portability
because using a newer 2.2.x kernel would normally mean the need of
more ram, loss of diskspace on the floppies as well as other
disadvantages...

Did you try to install another Linux Distribution (Slackware?) on your
Laptop? Perhaps that would better fit your needs?

Best greetings,

     Karl-Heinz -posting privately-

--
                      "My God, it's full of beans!"        ;-)
learn Java now: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/