Re: [mu SETUP] 2.2 kernel / pcmcia support ?

From: Michele Andreoli (quisque@tin.it)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 23:21:26 CET

Hello Karl-Heinz!

I did'nt hear from you for a lot.

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 05:34:56PM +0000, Karl-Heinz Zimmer nicely wrote:

> IMHO it might be that your idea would mean a loss of portability
> because using a newer 2.2.x kernel would normally mean the need of
> more ram, loss of diskspace on the floppies as well as other
> disadvantages...

To moving toward a 2.2.x kernel was been a temptation for me many
times. I've setup a sort of muLinux with 2.2.5 kernel and works, with
PCMCIA, isapnp, a better sound support, etc. The big problem, as Karl-Heinz
pointed, is resources: a further 100K on the floppy, more RAM,
etc. A system like that run only on 486, with 8-16 Mega, I think.

The only solution I can see is to froze the actual muLinux as 386-muLinux
and start by scratch a new multi-floppy structure, assuming no RAM
limitation.

ciao,

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
 Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen