Re: Boot Problem

From: Bernhard Reiter (bernhard@uwm.edu)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 23:44:17 CEST

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 09:54:41PM +0000, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 12:50:44PM -0500, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Tell users that if install.bat fails, with soem tar error
> > it might be the case that they don't have that file mut*.tgz in binary
> > format.
>
> Please, Bernhard: you have got a corrupted mulinux.tgz?
> This is the first report of this kind: other reports was related to
> addons archives.
Yes after downloading it with netscape via Windows95 from different
locations my .tgz was corrupted. But I could download it with
lynx from a unix machine and resolved that problem.

> > Back to my problem, when I run install.bat (from Drive e:)
> > where everything is installed accordingly to the guide, it loads the
> > kernel, but cannot mount the root filesystem resulting in kernel panic:
> > cannot mount root filesystem on 03:41.
> > The Problem with this system here is, that it doesn't have a regular
> > floppy, but a superfloppy at /dev/hdb. And that there is an additional
> > NTFS partition on the same harddisc.

> A superfloppy /dev/hdb?
> Please: what release?
Of MuLinux? I tried 5r7 and 5r5.
The superdrive should not interfere with the installation.
It just prevents me from using a floppy based Linux system out
of the box to debug filesystems on the harddrive.

> This errors happens during installation phase, or at next boot?
During the installation phase.
At the first call of install.bat the ramdisk is not mounted as
root filesystem. I don't know much about it, because of course
no further errormsgs are written somewhere.

Loadlin loads the kernel and the kernel takes over, up to the point
when it cannot mount the root filesystem.
> Your disks are IDE/ATAPI?
Yes. One big harddrive IDE.

I also tried DosLinux and DragonLinux, both seem to have similiar
problems. I wonder if they can be related to loadlin or the
BIOS of this machine. But there doesn't seem a way to find out easily.

> Try disabling what you don't want:
> boot: mulinux hdb=noprobe
There should be no problem in probing the superdrive.
(But I'm not at the lilo bootprompt anyhow. )

Thanks for the help!
        Bernhard