Re: Web site hosting offer

From: Esben Haabendal Soerensen (bart@sunsite.auc.dk)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 17:26:33 CEST

>>>>> "Michele" == Michele Andreoli <andreoli@pisoft.it> writes:

Michele> On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 09:22:24PM +0200, Esben Haabendal
Michele> Soerensen wrote:
>> If your trouble were specifically to us I think I know what
>> probably caused them :-)
>>
>> Yesterday, as you probably know, RedHat 6.0 was released. RedHat
>> ran into trouble with their ftp site (again!), and we ended up
>> being the one that most of the other mirrorsites mirrored from. At
>> the same time we had almost 300 normal users downloading it. We
>> had an average upstream of ~17Mb :-))

Michele> When I connected, the system tell me: "you are 240 th ftp
Michele> user, max 300", or max 400 (don't remember).

Well, that sounds right. But as long as you don't hit the limit this
should not be a problem (in it self...).

>> This actually caused trouble for a router on the danish research
>> backbone network. Our big Sun ES3500 was not even sweating, but
>> the research net backbone almost came to a halt :-)
>>
>> Have you tried again today ? The problems seems to have been
>> fixed.

Michele> Today? This evening, 3-4 times between 19:00 and 22:00.

Well, we actually had more trouble again last night :-(( You really
has hit the worst network situation the danish research network has
seen as long as I have been a student :-(

But I really don't understand excactly what you problem is.

What happens when you log in ? Could you send me a copy-paste of your
session ?

This is what happens when I login to sunsite with the mulinux
username/passwd:

[root@efterudd2 /root]# ftp sunsite.auc.dk
Connected to sunsite.auc.dk.
220 sunsite.auc.dk NcFTPd Server (free educational license) ready.
Name (sunsite.auc.dk:root): mulinux
331 User mulinux okay, need password.
Password:
230-You are user #230 of 300 simultaneous users allowed.
230-
230 Restricted user logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls -l
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mulinux ftponly 12 Apr 26 17:04 index.html ->
mulinux.html
226 Listing completed.
ftp>

And I can also write to the dir.
It really DO work, so you must be doing something wrong. We just have
to figure out what ;-)

Michele> Michele (Mike, Michael - a male name)
>> I known. I spent last summer at CERN where one of my friends was
>> an italian guy also named Michele. Funny thing with these names

Michele> A physicist? I also!

Nope. I am a computer engineer, but the CERN summerstudent programme
also accepts us :-) Actually many of the physicist summerstudents did
mostly computer science stuff to.

/bart

--
caffeine low .... brain halted