RE: [usb] Why is the PC always the host???

Hi Olivier,

PCs are always host because they have only host controller in them. Unless
they are specifically design to have dual functionality, host controller can
only function as host. By dual functionality, I mean a chip with both host
and device controller on it. Unfortunately, this is not the case for the
chips used in PCs. The very reason why most PC OSes, if not all, have no
generic device support.

There are some newer embedded microprocessors that have both host and device
controllers on-chip. These uP are intended for handheld computing
applications, e.g. PDAs and webpads. When connected to a PC the PDA is a
device, e.g. synchronization of a PDA. But when you attach a USB device to
the PDA then it will function as host, e.g. a USB keyboard.

Cheers,
kwanie