RE: [usb] Connecting two PCs

Title: Message

Hi Veeresh,

I believe this question was answered recently.

If you must have a host-device relation between 2 PCs then you’ll need to have the following,

On host PC,

1) USB device driver for the "device PC"

2) Application that runs on top of 1)

On device PC - for it to appear as a device,

1) USB device controller PC add-on card

2) PC's driver for 1)

3) Application that run on top of 2)

To have nothing done on the host PC means your device must be one of the USB Class devices. And the device class must also already be supported by the OS on the host. Please look at this link, http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass.html.

But if you are doing a class device, then I wonder why you need a PC to do it. Most of these devices should already be readily available on the market.

For the USB device controller PC add-on card, you may take Rudolf’s suggestion (copied below from his reply to the last enquiry on the same topic).

Buy a PCI FPGA prototype board. Download the PCI core from OpenCores,

download the USB 2.0 Function core from OpenCores. Synthesize them,

download them in to the PCI FPGA board (similar to the board the PCI

project used.) Now all you need is to write a small piece of software to

integrate the hardware in to your favorite OS. (If it's linux I think the

PCI project has some sample drivers !

Personally, I’ll do 2 apps to communicate with each other over either a file transfer cable or host-host adaptor. One app will be master and the other the slave. But that’s just me being lazy. J

Cheers,

kwanie