From: owner-usb@opencores.org [mailto:owner-usb@opencores.org]On Behalf
Of Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 5:13 AM
To: usb@opencores.org
Subject: Re: [usb] host controller transceiver?

On Sunday 30 December 2001 04:28, Amey Hegde wrote:
> There is no problem in implementing it on FPGA.

Ok.

> Are u going in for a 8bit(60MHz) or a 16 bit (30MHz) interface for
> the EHCI ? If u r planning a 8 bit interface then please check if the
> timings are meeting early in the development phase..

Since I will use a Virtex II, I don't think a 60 MHz interface will be
much of a problem. But saving a few pins could be important.

Steven Grunza had a very interesting idea - if you add a USB 2.0 hub
chip to the motherboard then the FPGA would only need a high speed
interface to talk to its upstream port and any of the transceivers I
looked at would do just fine.

But in that case it might be more cost effective for me to use
something like the Philips ISP1561 PCI Host Controller+Hub and replace
the USB 2.0 core in the FPGA with a PCI one. Not as much fun, but if I
replace two other i/o chips with PCI versions I might end up saving
pins (and CLBs in the FPGA).

-- Jecel