Re: [openppc] Apple Talk?

test1@yahoo.com wrote:

> >G5 Apple etc.
>
> Hi
> The only answer from both MOTOROLA & APPLE: "There is no such thing as G5!".

To be more exact, they're both saying nothing, because they cannot legally deny the G5, as it appears on Mot's roadmap (and one part is available, the MPC8540 (I think), and listed on the web site). Also
they may have an agreement to say nothing until an agreed date, when they both unveil things....

> If CHRP was not killed in 1997, a super giant UK-French-Swiss group will support it. Unfortunately APPLE killed it and PowerPC 620 flopped.
> I got idea about Motorola creating G5 for Socket A (AMD) or Pentium IV motherboards. This will eliminate the shortage of PowerPC motherboard and chipset. (similar to SiliconFruit approach).

CHRP was not killed by Apple exactly, it more flopped, due to the lack of a Northbridge, a situation which is only now being rectified. Apple only have control over motherboards which are licensed to run
Mac OS, and it was this licensing process which they stopped. There is nothing Apple can do to stop people making motherboards for PPC processors - witness Bplan, Mercedia, etc. These are CHRP's children
- based on CHRP, but updated to current architecture, I/O etc.

As to G4/G5 in Socket A or Socket 478 (Correct me if I'm wrong with the numbers), that would require the processor bus on the G4/G5 to be radically changed, to either a P4 bus (licensing issues - I can't
see Intel being willing to license a company who would concievable attack the bottom line), or an EV6 (Alpha) bus - see previous comments about Intel, who own the Alpha IP as well.

Oh well, I've done my usual, and been very negative. Sorry :-)

Alasdair