Re: [oc] file organization

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dalton" <john.dalton@bigfoot.com>
To: <cores@opencores.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 4:07 AM
Subject: Re: [oc] file organization

> The question of file organisation is
> related to what I have just posted on
> a server for cores.  I spotted this thread
> after my server post.
>
> Some suggestions.
>
> 1)
>
> Instead of a simple heirarchy, I would suggest using
> a relational database.  For example, a cordic core
> should have the property 'cordic' attached to it.
> That way it could be grouped with all other cordic
> cores.  At the same time alternative groupings would
> be possible such as behavioural, structural, vhdl, verilog,
> pcb design and so on.  Everything that can be done with a
> heirarchy can be done with a relational database (+ lots more).
>
> The existing heirarchical opencores web pages could be
> generated automatically from the relational database.
>
> Irrespective of what format it chosen, it should be able
> to be easily manipulated by a machine.

Miha, do we use SQL for database or is it custom database?

> 2)
>
> The key to reuse and inviting people to extend existing
> work is *CLEAR* CONCISE DOCUMENTATION.

For me this is always a problem because english not my native language.
I know that area of the web site that is not part of projects pages could
use some help from some native english speaker to correct all the grammar
and other errors and to improve quality of the content. Instructions how to
use CVS, FAQ, etc.