File transfers

From: Wells, Adrian (SCH) (ajwells@BP.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 23:19:15 CET

    Greetings to all,

    I have successfully installed all the addons of 13r2 onto a toshiba
    210ct laptop and everything is working a treat including a nice 600x800
    tft screen.
    I would like to install star office 5.1 but have no CD drive, or network
    pcmcia card. I was hoping to do a file transfer over a serial link from
    my wife's laptop (win98). I set up serial server and connected from the
    win 98 box using hyperterminal. sure enough I got a log in prompt, but I
    think perhaps all I have created is a remote terminal on the end of a
    wire. Is it possible to transfer a large gz file over this or perhaps I
    can do it using PLIP. Can anyone point me in the right direction? This
    is an area of computing of which I have no experience.
    My best regards to all.

            Many thanks
            Adrian Wells
            BP Schiehallion FPSO