Re: A problem with WinXP

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 09:19:18 CET

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 02:38:23AM +0200, Vesa-Pekka Palmu nicely wrote:

> One thing you should check is if you can use ctr-alt-del after logon
> and start task manager, to see if one particular process is taking all
> the cpu time.

If I login as "remo", and not "michele", the session startup is complete,
the hd led is ok, etc, ma screen is totally black.
ctr-alt-del probabily will show the task manager, but I cannot see it.

> You should also use regedit and look at
> H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversi
> on\run , runonce etc registery entries and see if there are any
> processes starting on logon there, if so, you could try saving the
> keys and then removing entries one by one to see if that is killing the
> system (there should be no critical processes here)
>
> And do the usual, check the disk for bad sectors, as if the defauluser
> profile used as the base for each new user created is damaged, it
> could prevent the login from working. in win2k you run disk
> diagnostics by typing "chkdisk /R/F C:" replace C: with the drive to
> be tested, might require reboot to unmount the disk.

Thank you: I will try to disable the best program that run on
startup.

"Physics is like sex: it may give some practical
results, but that's not why we do it"  (Richard Feynman)