Re: A problem with WinXP

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (depili@sci.fi)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 01:38:23 CET

> Strangely enough, for each user different from the user "michele" the
> session starts, but screen remains black.
> I can notice every typical sound that this computer emits after the user
> login, but screen is black.

The following is from experience from different versions of windows,
as I haven't used xp, mainly due my personal dislike of the new
licensing policy.

I once had a similar problem after installing Tiny Personal Firewall,
as it blocked internal system communications, and thus after login
there was no gui.

One thing you should check is if you can use ctr-alt-del after logon
and start task manager, to see if one particular process is taking all
the cpu time.

You should also use regedit and look at
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversi
on\run , runonce etc registery entries and see if there are any
processes starting on logon there, if so, you could try saving the
keys and then removing entries one by one to see if that is killing the
system (there should be no critical processes here)

And do the usual, check the disk for bad sectors, as if the defauluser
profile used as the base for each new user created is damaged, it
could prevent the login from working. in win2k you run disk
diagnostics by typing "chkdisk /R/F C:" replace C: with the drive to
be tested, might require reboot to unmount the disk.

Hope this helps least a little