Re: Experimenting with Windows Installers

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 21:49:18 CET

20/11/2002 21:31:54, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:20:03PM -0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:
>
>> Under Cygwin you may have to determine th o/s used and use mkpasswd for NT/XP/2000 and both
>> mkpasswd and passwd.exe(needs to be added) for 9x/ME
>
>Maybe, the right solution is to disable mkpasswd and to use only passwd.
>configure.bat might ask the user about the user password and this can be
>different from the password used in the Windows side (I think, this is
>nice to have, or not?)

Plusses....different ssh and windoze passwords always a good thing
                doesn't give all users automatic ssh login .. definate plus( don't trust my dad with ssh !!!!!!!!)
Disadvantages.......... you loose the automation of creating accounts, but so what?

I'd go with only passwd but then I've only got ME so I'm biased :-)

>> even under linux scp has always had weak encryption. Its a very handy tool, but does not get the usage
it
>> deserves( very handy for exporting rsa keys to key server)
>
>It now work. I change cgwin1.dll and some other command.
>I'm trying to add rsync.exe, but still it has some DLL problem.

There was something about rsync under Cygwin but I'm damned if I can remember what it was. It
 will come back to me someday.

>> is there a windows grep/sed/awk/tr ?
>
>eh, eh ... I call bash.exe for that. If you expore my *.bat provided,
>I use them only in order to call the related *.sh.
>I will grep under cygwin/linux.

Only kidding ,, just the thought of haveing to do that under windows sends shivers down my back!!

>Mah ... emails requires the ssmtp.exe (I just are experimenting with it now);
>the wep page requires curl.exe, and I already have it.

How about a shell script mail server/mail reader.. now who would be soft enough to do that??

>When a new release of RS.exe is ready, I will announce here. Ok?

Announce away my friend

Dave