Re: Experimenting with Windows Installers

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 22:31:54 CET

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:20:03PM -0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:

> Under Cygwin you may have to determine th o/s used and use mkpasswd for NT/XP/2000 and both
> mkpasswd and passwd.exe(needs to be added) for 9x/ME

Maybe, the right solution is to disable mkpasswd and to use only passwd.
configure.bat might ask the user about the user password and this can be
different from the password used in the Windows side (I think, this is
nice to have, or not?)

> even under linux scp has always had weak encryption. Its a very handy tool, but does not get the usage it
> deserves( very handy for exporting rsa keys to key server)

It now work. I change cgwin1.dll and some other command.
I'm trying to add rsync.exe, but still it has some DLL problem.

> >1) the sshd.bat (called by windows) should call the "ipconfig" Windows command
> >
> > ipconfig > etc/ip
> >

> is there a windows grep/sed/awk/tr ?

eh, eh ... I call bash.exe for that. If you expore my *.bat provided,
I use them only in order to call the related *.sh.
I will grep under cygwin/linux.

> >Alternative: the sshd.sh a sort of ip.html page, via curl, to
> >my home server.
> >

> both equally valid, I don't know which I would prefer, thats up to you of course

Mah ... emails requires the ssmtp.exe (I just are experimenting with it now);
the wep page requires curl.exe, and I already have it.

> Just a thought, is there any firewalling at your friends end ie is port 22 open? also some isp's don't port
> forward port 22 at the head end router to prevent possible malicious hacking of their network(speaking as
> an ex isp network employee)

Fortunately, port 22 is forwared. Otherwise, no way to use ssh between us.

When a new release of RS.exe is ready, I will announce here. Ok?

"Physics is like sex: it may give some practical
results, but that's not why we do it"  (Richard Feynman)