Re: Experimenting with Windows Installers

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 20:25:34 CET

20/11/2002 18:45:21, Dave Houghton <mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Michele,
> I'm playing around some more with the cygwin ssh/sshd.
>SSH works fine, I can ssh into my work lan without problem. If you export the ssh keys to the remote
>server then proper RSA authentification is carried out without the need for login/password. If you don't
>export the keys then ssh falls back to login/password authentification. You are also warned correctly if the
>host_dsa_key has changed since your last login, so the strict authentification is working o.k.
>
>There is a problem with the cygwin sshd however. This is common to all sshd as far as I know. If the
>password for a user is blank then sshd will not allow ssh login. I had the same problem under Linux as
well.
>No (or blank) user password and you can't login. Use passwd to set a password for the same user and
>everything is fine. I'm not sure if this is because ssh/sshd are using shadowpassword rather than plain
>/etc/passwd file ????????.
>
>Basically mkpasswd.exe when it is called from /etc/configure.sh (called from configure.bat) isn't picking up
>the windows password for the user logged in under windows. The password field in /etc/passwd remains
>blank. So blank password=no sshd login.
>
>Dave
>
>More later I've got to eat sometime :-)

Well I've eaten,
                       doing a bit of reading it would appear that mkpasswd only works wih NT varients ie
NT/2000/XP so with my 9x/ME it will always return a blank passwd and the -l option to mkpasswd will not
generate /etc/passwd entries for all users that have a windows profile but only the user running
configure.bat/mkpasswd. Cygwin passwd.exe <EM> may < /EM> be able to generate the password entry
after mkpasswd has created the /etc/passwd entries for the user. As we haven't got that (yet ???? Michele),
win 98/Me users are not going to be able to be able to log into sshd under cygwin.

Also

login.bat <any user other than configure.bat user>

(if that makes sense) also fails due to the null passwd problem again because mkpasswd only generates one
entry in /etc/passwd rather than all user entries as -l option should give you.

Dave (almost upgrading to XP............mmm)