Re: Experimenting with Windows Installers

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 21:17:08 CET

Michele Andreoli wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 07:36:45PM +0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:
>
>>Sorry Michele getting carried away with my native dialect.
>>It works 100% no matter how hard I try to break it or get it to fail.
>>
>>SSH and SSHD work faultlessly over the telescope network at the University.
>>
>>Now for the Cygwin Mu installer !!!!!!!!!
>>

>So, you installed rustic-shell.exe and it worked for you?
>Please, report your operating system and the steps used in order
>to install it.

Windows ME, 128 Mb on a borrowed laptop
downloaded, ran the rustic-shell.exe. Installed first time with no
problems.

>1) Did you use the configure.bat

configure .bat ran o.k and generated the ssh keys as planned

>2) Did you see the user name used printed? It is the correct
> user?

I must admit that I ran the shell.bat before I ran the configure.bat (I
must learn to read the instructions first!)
Without running configure.bat the user name did not appear correctly
(from memory the home directory was the root directory /)
After running configure.bat then running shell.bat the correct user name
and home directory (in my case I ran config as configure.bat admin)and
ended up in /home/admin as you would expect.

>3) the password is correct?

I exported the pub keys to the remote server and was able to login
without any password so I assume that the key authentification was
successfull.
I didn't try without exporting the keys so I can't say if ssh would fall
back to username/password authentification without the correct keys in
the remote server key database. I'll try that tommorrow when I 'm in
work as I don't have windows set up at home

Dave