Re: Windows XP question (newbie)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 21:36:59 CEST

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 07:11:42PM +0200, Dumas Patrice nicely wrote:

> I think that databases are overkill for configuration in most cases, as
> in most cases we don't need ACID properties, nor the fast access as
> configuration informations are often read only once. Only concurrency is
> needed in the base case. When the information is accessed a lot (aliases
> database for sendmail, for example), fast read access is needed too.

Probabily a true DB in the sense of a SQL server (as example) is surely
overkilling and, maybe, also impraticable: the DB has to be accessed
at the beginning of the boot, etc.

An format suck the Berkeley DB Library, used for example in the
sendmail configuration, it's enough. The makemap command can convert
from the /etc format to .db format, for example.

It is possible to use this library from C e from PERL.

I will try to experiment in muLinux, configuring it via makemap,
a day :-)

"Physics is like sex: it may give some practical
results, but that's not why we do it"  (Richard Feynman)