Re: [mu TECH] Crystal sound card

From: no one (neverbefound@subdimension.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 21:28:18 CEST

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:06:40 +0000 (GMT)
Garry thomas Tucker <u02gtt@abdn.ac.uk> pleasently wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:02:32 -0500 Alfie Costa
> <agcosta@gis.net> wrote:
>

> > On 2 Apr 2002, at 17:45, Garry thomas Tucker <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a crystal audio ISA sound
> > > card (cirrus logic chipset cs4236 i think) and
> > > was wondering if anyone can point me in the right
> > > direction to finding out how to get sound working
> > > in mu?
> >
> > Is your sound card SoundBlaster compatible? (Mu's sound driver is for SB
> > compatible cards only.)
> >
> > For MsDos/Win9x, do you configure the hardware with jumpers or software? (The
> > card may be Plug & Play, in which case Linux won't see the card until you
> > configure it with various 'isapnptools'.)
> >

> The card is sb (pro i believe) compatible under
> dos/win. its initialized using an exe in DOS (i
> dont know about windows as i rarely use it ). I
> have tried using isapnp but it wont work. Guess
> ill just have to keep using dos for games, though
> id rather use the emulator . I could use the
> internal speaker thing, but i dont have an
> internal speaker, just wondered if anyone knew of
> a site that could help me out.

If you have an umsdos mulinux, adjust the 'bootme.bat' executable to launch the .exe that configures the sound card first; it will set it up in sb-compatiable mode - the computer will then 'soft boot' into linux without resetting hardware...

From within mu, configure 'setup -f sound' as sb - DMA,IRQ & IO are probably listed somewhere in your autoexec.bat

If you boot via lilo / floppies, can't offer much help other than playing with isapnp - though you can always boot into a full ext2 linux via DOS&Loadlin first (even put it into autoexec.bat if you want :^)

Hope this helped,
Jarvist

Courdoroy pillows- They're making headlines!