Re: [mu SETUP] Getting X to work on an old Mitac 4022 Laptop.

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 16:27:39 CET

Peter Nunn wrote:

> I have now got a totally minimal setup with just one screen resolution and
> one driver definition but I am now getting errors about 'generic' being an
> invalid chip set.
>
> Is there anything I can use to probe the system and help me setup X?

Have you tried commenting out the "Chipset" line in your XF86Config.in?
I don't think it's required in all cases. Maybe the driver can figure
out which chipset you have on its own.

Apart from that, a quick google search says that the MITAC 4022 has the
Chips and Technologies 65525 chipset and XFree86 claims to support that
from at least version 3.3 onwards. I don't know which XFree86 mu comes
with (I replaced mine for some reason I can't remember anymore), but you
can get a newer one if necessary.

The XFree86 Howto provides good advice -
http://www.linuxpowered.com/archive/howto/XFree86-HOWTO.html for a 1999
version that won't confuse matters by referring to drivers too new to be
compatible with the rest of mu. He recommends the xf86config program
that comes in RedHat XFree86 packages for generating an XF86Config file
matching your hardware. RedHat vintage 5.1 or 5.2 programs usually seem
to work under mu, but they come wrapped up in .rpm files that you've got
to extract them from. I don't know offhand how you do that if you
haven't got a RedHat system available, but other people on this mailing
list probably do.

Good luck,

Stephen Isard