RE: [mu INSTALLATION]

From: Schiehallion, Telecomms (schtel@eu1.bp.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 15:33:32 CET

Before you clone you must run mulinux in RAM I think.
What I have always done (and I have succeeded on 3 PC's and a laptop) is
either (for a machine with RAM > 128M) made floppies and inserted one at a
time as requested, then when it is running past the login type clone and
select either UMSDOS if the machine only has a windows /DOS partition with
loadlin or if a small machine, I have copied all the downloads to a
directory then select option 2 from the installer disk.

I have done one machine directly to a ext2 partition using floppies only to
load into RAM then clone but I think it would also be possible to do this
from running mulinux from a UMSDOS installation and typing clone a second
time if the hard drive had two partitions, one for the UMSDOS and containing
the Mulinux downloads and the other partition as ext2 (maybe a third swap
partition also.
It sounds as though you want to use the clone command before mulinux is
running, I don't think this will work.
There is another possibility, I have seen somewhere on the mulinux site a
download for the UMSDOS linux directory already done. If you download this
onto your DOS partition, then run linux.bat (using DOS startup only) then
this should run mulinux straight away, it would be possible to then clone to
a ext2 partition if you had is set up ready.

Good luck, keep persevering, its worth the trouble.

Adrian W