Re: [mu SETUP] Rock

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 05:43:05 CET

On 4 Dec 2001, at 22:52, Shannon Mecklenburg <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:

> >"rocks the party"? Mmm, literal translation doesn't help me with this
> >sentence. What's the party? Whats the rock?
>
> Haha! Its slang. I don't know how to explain it but to say that he is
> complimenting Mulinux and is saying that its a great product. Rock is an
> *adjective* which describes motion.

No no no. "Rock" is a verb, not an adjective. It's an adjective if followed
by "ing" though, as in "rocking chair".

On "rocks the party" for Italia.

Start with "rocking chair", a chair on grooved rails that rocks back and forth.
A "rocking horse" is a toy wooden horse, similar to a rocking chair.

Rock n' Roll, was early 20th century American slang euphemism for... ehm, that
action which creates parents.

Rock n' Roll, or Rock for short, was then applied to music with a fast beat,
the beat having a frequency appropriate to said action.

Such music is generally celebratory, and so "rock" has become a synonym for fun
or merriment, especially among those who prefer this form of music.

So "muLinux rocks the party" means "muLinux is as fun as things the speaker
approves of, like music or dancing or other things."