Re: Some newbie existential doubts...

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 20:58:02 CET

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:09:16AM -0800, Manuel Garcia Rodriguez nicely wrote:
> Hello.
> I've recently aquire a Pentium 100Mhz and I would like
> to connect to my beloved 486-33, for sharing resources
> and learn home-networking :).
>
> 1) I've seen that there are many options to choose:
> serial port, parallel port, modem.
> - Which connection is faster?
> - Which is easy to configure & use?
> - Which works with samba?

If you have a TCP connection, Samba will works.
If you have not ethernet, I suggest you serial connection: setup ppp0.

> 2) I've installed all servers: inetd, smbd, sendmail,
> pop3, telnetd, ftpd, httpd, X11 SVGA, but:
> - When I try to probe httpd:
> # quark http://localhost/ or quark http://127.0.0.1/
> 0 bytes are readed and nothing is displayed. [q]uiting
> produces a Segmentation Fault, and tty freezes (I must
> kill it from another). The same problem occurs opening
> a local html page.

You can use Lynx.

> - telnet works fine.
> - sendmail doesn't work properly. If I open 'mail' as
> non-root, there is a 'ls /var/spool/mail: access
> denied' error (folder is 'execute only' for 'other')
> and mail folder isn't displayed, so I can't compose.
>
> All of this doesn't occur in my magic 486. It runs
> slow but all works fine.
>
> 3) 'startx' only works as root, because
> '/setup/cnf/stored' and other access denied, and
> 'can't determine tty' errors occurs.
> Oh, God, what's going wrong? :)

muLinux works well only being root: it is the expansion of
a single floppy.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous