Some newbie existential doubts...

From: Manuel Garcia Rodriguez (manueluniversidad@yahoo.es)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 20:09:16 CET

Hello.
I've recently aquire a Pentium 100Mhz and I would like
to connect to my beloved 486-33, for sharing resources
and learn home-networking :).

1) I've seen that there are many options to choose:
serial port, parallel port, modem.
- Which connection is faster?
- Which is easy to configure & use?
- Which works with samba?

2) I've installed all servers: inetd, smbd, sendmail,
pop3, telnetd, ftpd, httpd, X11 SVGA, but:
- When I try to probe httpd:
# quark http://localhost/ or quark http://127.0.0.1/
0 bytes are readed and nothing is displayed. [q]uiting
produces a Segmentation Fault, and tty freezes (I must
kill it from another). The same problem occurs opening
a local html page.
- telnet works fine.
- sendmail doesn't work properly. If I open 'mail' as
non-root, there is a 'ls /var/spool/mail: access
denied' error (folder is 'execute only' for 'other')
and mail folder isn't displayed, so I can't compose.

All of this doesn't occur in my magic 486. It runs
slow but all works fine.

3) 'startx' only works as root, because
'/setup/cnf/stored' and other access denied, and
'can't determine tty' errors occurs.
Oh, God, what's going wrong? :)

4) Some ideas to share monitor and keyboard? :) :) :)

Thanks.

Manuel.