Re: Some Addons...

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 18:02:27 CET

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 11:29:45AM +0100, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:13:55AM +0100, Karl-Heinz Zimmer nicely wrote:
>

> > does this "being obsolete" indicate you are going to reorganize muLinux?
> > If so please try to do it in a way that the _1_ floppy solution will
> > still be working!
> >

> Periodically, I return back on this well-known problem. On the other
> hand, the first floppy is the mulinux's "neck of bottle": it destroy any
> attempt to upgrade the kernel.
>
> But an old kernel prevent the possibility to mount new Linux EXT2 disks, so
> I think the "rescue" nature of the first floppy is being overvaluated,
> a this moment, isn't true?
>
> Maybe, a set of workaround can be designed; more imagination is required.

I can only make an advice. Maybe it could be interesting to look at uclibc
instead of libc5 ? It seems to me that uclibc is smaller. Maybe it hasn't all
the features of libc5, however.

> A new rescue-floppy concept
> ----------------------------
>
> A new dialog-based script, able to create the rescue-floppy, following
> precise request from the user, linking it only with requested
> modules and tools.
>
> I think the all-in-one rescue-floppy is now a bumping concept, because
> kernel 2.4 is big, big.
>

> Maybe, with some trick, should be possible to create a basic rescue-floppy
> without start muLinux, using the "mu" script.
>
> The better, should be to have a 1440 rescue, dos-formatted, booting
> with syslinux. In this way, to add something in it is very, very
> simple topics.

Maybe it could be possible to have a 2 step process: a all-in-one floppy disk
is used to detect the needed modules, kernel, and utilities, and with these
infos gathered the rescue disk is made. Is it what you thought about ?

And this 2 step process could also be used with regular one floppy muLinux when
there is a need for a 2.4 kernel.

> The new "BASE" floppy disk
> --------------------------
>
> The disk should contains only libc5 tools, the simplest shell, E3 editors,
> and other assembly routines. If disk-space is enough, it should
> contains the PPP code, in order to download the remaining floppy from
> Internet.
>

> Dual libraries
had allready built a lot with this library.

> On the other hand, this is true also for actual muLinux: the PERL addon
> activate also libc6, an old release of it.
>
> Why? Why?
> ------------
>
> Because the kernel 2.4 is a such wonderful world, and we can have
> a complete access to Sound, PCMCIA, USB, irDA (infrared), etc. also
> under the rustic land of muLinux.
>
> How to proceed?

I think sourceforge is a good place whatever the fate of mulinux.
I also think that a good idea would be to look at similar projects to see if
things may be taken from them.

I think that it could be possible to redesign mulinux to do all that and keep
all the good things from mulinux.

> All that, anyway, requires a formidable work, and I have no free-time
> as at the beginning of this project.

Pat