Re: UMSDOS installation from and to an extended partition

From: Sebastian Leske (sleske@enterprise.mathematik.uni-essen.de)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 17:00:33 CEST

Hi,

> I'am studying abroad for one year, and have come here (Cardiff, UK)
> without any computer. I'm trying to run linux on the university
> network.
>
> I know, that's bad, but the clients are Windows NT 4.0, and I can't
> have fun with Windows.
>
> I want to use muLinux, to play with it.
[rest deleted]

I can't help you with the technical problems, but I still can't help
making a few random remarks:

> I found *one* old PC (64Mb RAM) on the LAN which hard disk is in NTFS
> for the first partition and in FAT for the second (/dev/hda5, an
> extended partition).
[...]
> Since that computer is in a library, and is not mine, I can't take a
> screwdriver to open the box and take off the battery... ;-]

Installing software on computers you do not own is generally illegal or
at least considered to be very rude, unless you have obtained explicit
permission. You are also probably violating your institution's policy,
which might even be reason for you to be expelled. So, I most certainly
would not do this.

> I want to use muLinux, to play with it.

Well, the nice thing about muLinux are its very modest hardware
requirements. So if you want to play with it, why don't you just go out
and buy yourself an old computer to play with? A 486 with 16 or even 8
MB RAM would be fine, and you should get those for ~ £50 or less (maybe
even for free) plus maybe £20-£30 for a monitor. Then you'll have a
system to play with at your heart's content (you could even run Debian
on it, if you want to try a different Linux distribution).
Try looking into the classified ads in your local paper (or in a
special classified ad paper), or on the internet (ebay etc.).
Or just ask the sysadmin at your school, they might well have old,
unused computers lying around which you may be able to buy/borrow/get
for free.

Just a thought.

Greetings,

Sebastian Leske