Re: [POLIT] Re: Protect your own

From: HTom4722@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 14:49:32 CEST

In a message dated 9/14/01 5:23:20 AM Central Daylight Time, lammert@gmx.de
writes:

<< That is exactly the wrong way. There should be pacifistic and fearful
 people in all armys. There wouldn't be war anymore... >>

I've watched this conversation disintegrate, biting my tongue, but this is
too silly.

"The people of a village near Bettia told me that they had run away whilst
the police were looting their houses and molesting their womenfolk. When
they said that they had run away because I had told them to be nonviolent, I
hung my head in shame. I assured them that such was not the meaning of my
nonviolence. I expected them to intercept the mightiest power that might be
in the act of harming those who were under their protection, and draw without
hesitation all harm upon their own heads even to the point of death, but
never to run away from the storm centre. It was manly enough to defend one's
property, honour, or religion at the point of the sword. It was manlier and
nobler to defend them without seeking to injure the wrongdoer. But it was
unmanly, unnatural, and dishonourable to forsake the post of duty, and, in
order to save one's skin, to leave property, honour, or religion to the mercy
of the wrong-doer. I could see my way of delivering .ahi\_.ms\^~a to those
who knew how to die, not to those who were afraid of death."

Gandhiji in Indian Villages, published in 1927.

One of those guntot'n muLinux users. I try hard not to be a bully, but mess
with my chicks, my nest, or my herring, and you'll find that there is much
more to Tux than fluff.

htom