Re: Actual News

From: HTom4722@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 14:08:03 CEST

various people wrote --

> I just hope that it won't become a global "war of terrorism".

Terrorism had already become a "global war", with few but the terrorists
committed to action. This tends to be the way terrorism is used as a
military/political strategy (governments have slightly more subtle mechanisms
to wield, but those are generally ineffective against terrorists.)

> Only a thing it's possible to learn from this disastrous event: the
> US star-wars project has to be abandoned immediately, because obsolete,
> destining founds in making ONU a *working* entity.

Hmmm. Allow someone to fly fuel-heavy 767 into occupied building, or shoot
it down, raining flaming debris on the population under it ... I'd shoot it
down, on the idea that much more of the fuel would be consumed in the
airborne explosion, which would not have been formed to make a fuel-air
detonation. Hard choice, though.

> And, oh boys, in my humble opinion (but I'm still under shock) it is
> better if Israel, following a precise ONU's resolution act, will leave
> the occupied lands, or this kind of disastres never will end.

Appeasement hasn't worked for the Israelis for about 45 years, and I see no
reason to think that humankind has changed. :(

> Anyway, this is time for sorrow and pain, not for politics.
> I do express my sorrow and my condolences to all americans.

Thank you.

I fear for both my country and the rest of the world. We will respond to
this by striking out at someone, and I pray that we at least find those who
actually did the deed, rather than merely someone that is easy to blame.
Much of what Americans think of as "civil liberty" will disappear in the near
future, as well, in a futile attempt to exchange freedom for security, in
spite of the words of one of our founders. (Ben Franklin -- "They who can
give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety.")

htom