Re: [SETUP] mulinux cloned to HDD; can't install addons (22% stop)

From: Joshua Hudson (joshudson@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 18:26:24 CEST

From: Maciej Kalisiak <mac@cs.toronto.edu>

>Hi,
>
>Can someone tell me how to diagnose my predicament?
>I did the basic setup and have a cloned to HDD
>myLinux running nicely, but now when I try to add the
>other addons from the 1772 floppies, the Unpack command
>gets stuck at 22% and never goes on from there. This is
>on a 486DX33 with 100Mb disk and 4Mb memory. I've got
>an 8 Meg swap file. This is all on UMSDOS setup on DOS
>6.22. I though that maybe it's running out of memory
>and the system is thrashing (HDD led is on constantly
>then, system slow to respond), but doing 'free' in another
>tty shows that the swap file is barely used, and about 200K
>RAM free...

>Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

You are out of memory. There is simply not enough memory
for the kernel to bring bzip2 back to the forground while
running buffers and the like. It may be possible to proceed
like this (after using FAST BOOT), or it may fail.

mkdir /usr/srv
cd /usr/srv
bzip2 -dck /path/to/srv.tgz > srv.tar
tar -xf srv.tar
rm srv.tar

If that doesn't work, you will need more memory.