Re: The Opera browser

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 19:44:21 CEST

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 12:59:30PM +0000, mek@antenna.nl nicely wrote:

> > Opera is not open-source, stop. muLinux is published under GPL and uses
> > many free software, from variuous authors. I can help free developing only
> > diffusing free software. It is free software that make possible muLinux,
> > not software as Opera.
>
> very good point. stop.
> but i wonder how open netscape3 is. or wasn't that the version which was opened
> up for mozilla?

Mah, I do not know, really; I am just satisfied about the Netscape decision.
But, as far *real* intention in Netscape and real feeling about OpenSource,
we cannot say anything :-(

> don't you think it can be a passion on optimizing? i think so. some people even cannot understand why some programmers
> have passion to write kernels. i don't see the problem here.

I agree. In this case "optimizing" is a design goal, and might be object of
free-developer passion. Example: real-time kernel is a kind of "optimizing",
i.e. specializing in a specific direction.

> but OK, when you are talking about the dirty programmers work, which nobody
> wants to do (even if it's not very clear to me what kind of work that is) then
> you still have the payed opensource programmers who will do that.
> it's the collaboration some companies see (and benefit) in
> opensource/freesoftware as a plus.

If company pay the free-programmer, the company has to gain with the
software. This open a further problem: to gain selling the support, the
media, etc?

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous