Re: The Opera browser

From: HTom4722@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 14:01:33 CEST

Opera is a wonderful browser; I rarely use anything else on Windows. I have
not gotten around to using it on Linux (yet; it's very close to the top of
the to-do list.) It is not open source in any meaning of that phrase. It's
a commercial product. There is a "free" option that displays advertisments
if you have not purchased / registered it.

It requires Qt 2.2.4 for the dynamicly linked version, and I suspect that
there are a bunch of other dependencies from there for either the dynamicly
linked or staticly linked version (which is about a megabyte larger.)

It would be a great addition to muLinux if it works as well as it does on
windows -- small, fast, accurate, great user interface. Those who want to
register could use it without the ads, those who don't register can either
not use it (they wouldn't even have to download it!) or they can use it with
the ads while they decide if they want to register. I registered back when it
was version 3.2 for windows only, and am very happy with my purchase; one of
the best software purchases I've ever made.

htom

In a message dated 6/18/01 2:30:06 AM Central Daylight Time,