Re: mu-12r0 Netscape error

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 16:05:53 CEST

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 12:47:04PM +0300, Stephen Kasirye nicely wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, NINAD BAPAT nicely wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I downloaded the NS1/NS2 add ons. Everything works
> > fine i.e.X started nicely no problems but after
> > starting X when I type Netscape it gives a
> > Bus error
> >
> > Please help?
> >

> I hope you have been reading all postings! (Have you?)
> In one last posting, yesterday or the other day, Michele nicely wrote,
> that for some odd reason Netscape does not start in RAM. You will have to
> clone the mu set onto a hard disk from which it will then work.

This is because Netscape is compressed with UPX. The UPX decompress on
the fly, creating some enourmous file in the /tmp directory. The /tmp
directory, in the RAM mulinux, is a simple ramdisk and a ramdisk is only 4M
in muLinux.

Without UPX, we need three disk: NS1, NS2, NS3, but this again will not
works, because the uncompressed binary is still to big to be contained
in a ramdisk.

> He speculated what the problem could be, but first do as he said. I hope
> you won't get a problem at all.

It is using surely VGA16; for strange raisons, Netscape often fails with
"bus error" with this server. But I'm not totally sure about this statement.
Indeed, in the case of the ramdisk problem, my version fails without
special error message, i.e. silently crashes.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous