Re: [mu lilo.conf] Prompt for ROOT floppy.

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 00:08:42 CEST

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 02:12:29PM -0700, Joshua Hudson nicely wrote:
> I am developing from muLinux a single-floppy dialup client
> with the internet clients telnet, ssh, lynx, and ftp--a
> MAJOR redesign. The floppy seems to build correctly and
> without any errors, but it doesn't work.

Of course, in older releases you can find also a smaller lynx 2.6,
without NNTP support. Originally, indeed, lynx was on the first floppy
disk.

> To be precise, the kernel boots, loads the ramdisk (successfully)
> and prompts for the ROOT floppy:
>
> Compressed image found at block xxx
> VFS: mounted root EXT2 filesystem
> INSERT ROOT FLOPPY AND PRESS ENTER.

"Compressed image ..." means that a good gzipped image is found
a the provided block. It also mount fine ( "mounted root EXT2 ..." ).
So, why the error?
Maybe, you removed some file from root.gz, such "linuxrc" ? In muLinux
/linuxrc is a symlinks to /setup/rc/linuxrc (in order to keep all
in single place). Check this file!

Furthmore, check your /etc/inittab:

        id:4:initdefault:
        r:S:sysinit:/etc/rc/4
        ... etc ..

Did you remove some /etc/rc/* script? Ehm, they are symlinked in
/setup/rc and, probabily, you completely removed the directory /setup
because not useful for your purpose.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous