Re: SETUP - Going online

From: A Mooron (moorons@themail.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 15:53:52 CEST

Hello,
>My problem:
>I used miterm to connect to internet (??), after getting connected
>certain junk characters r displayed
>and the modem gets diconnected soon saying NO CARRIER. I am not able to do
>any net browsing
The junk that you see is the PPP program on the isp computer attempting
to establish a ppp connection - you are using a regular terminal emulator
to try and connect.

Can't remember which 'setup -f foobar' it is, run the full screen setup &
look for isp / internet etc.

That will dial out using the ppp daemon to your isp & establish a ppp
connection - your box will be connected to the internet.

Once there you can use the lynx browser (if you have the WKS addon
loaded) to surf
and all the other standard linux net programs to play with...

>I am not able to exit from miterm and hence I had to do a kill PID
>My modem is auto probing detects my mouse and modem to be on ttyS0 but my
>modem is actualy on
>ttyS1 and mouse is on ttyS0
Hmmm, strange... auto detection works fairly well on recent versions...
>Please let me know what went wrong, sorry I am a linux new bie
:-)
Everybody was at one time! ;-)