Re: [mu startx] only root can start x.

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 19:27:22 CEST

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 10:14:13PM +0530, Sukhdeep Singh Sodhi nicely wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My problem goes beyond that.
>
> I tried using mulinux 11r2 on my system. But it could not mount the hard
> disk, I got an error message that said
>
> "Unable to mount fs due to optional features"
>
> I replaced the standard muLinux Kernel with Linux 2.2.14 Kernel (Very
> crude but installation works barring X :-))
>
> It took me a week to Cofigure X on it, but finally what I see is
>
> "aterm: can't open pseudo-tty terminal" in the log file /var/log/startx.log
> .
>
> Could you tell me how to go about it, or could you guide me to someone
> else.
>
> Regards
> Sukhdeep

Hello Sukhdeep,

some of us experienced problem with pseudo-tty terminals with kernel
in the series 2.2.*, upgrading muLinux. This is not only a problem for
"aterm", but also for console login. Console login works for you?

Anyway, newer kernel requires different major/minor numbers on the
pseudo-tty, because the mapping is changed. In theory, you can fix
using the command "mknod", or copying with "cp -a /dev/*" from a newer
system.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous