Re: [mu startx] only root can start x.

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 19:34:15 CEST

Sukhdeep Singh Sodhi wrote:

> I tried using mulinux 11r2 on my system. But it could not mount
the hard
> disk, I got an error message that said
>
> "Unable to mount fs due to optional features"

Maybe if you gave some further information about your hardware, someone
on the list could advise on this.

> I replaced the standard muLinux Kernel with Linux 2.2.14 Kernel (Very
> crude but installation works barring X :-))
>
> It took me a week to Cofigure X on it, but finally what I see is
>
> "aterm: can't open pseudo-tty terminal" in the log file /var/log/startx.log

And this is when you are logged in as root?

> Could you tell me how to go about it, or could you guide me to someone
> else.

As I've said, I don't understand the allocation of ptys. However, I
believe that something about them changed between kernels 2.0.36 and
2.2.14. There is a document at
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html that may be
relevant. However, my not very well informed guess is that asking
advice here on how to get your hard disk working under 2.0.36 is more
likely to pay off than trying to convert mulinux to a later kernel.
Michele?

Stephen Isard