Re: Cloning to harddisk, EXT2

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 10:12:07 CEST

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 02:04:28AM +0200, Ralf Michael Fischer wrote:
> LILO installs a first-stage bootloader into the target-device. This one
> resides in the Master-Boot-Record of a Floppy or a HardDisk. Because there is
> only one MBR for one device, it makes sense only to specify the whole device
> and not a partition inside/on it.

Hi,
I think you did a little mistake. LILO first stage boot-loader isn't
necessarily on the MBR. LILO first stage boot-loader may be localized on the
boot sector of any linux primary partition, or (it is not recommended),
on the boot sector of the logical partition.

LILO first stage bootloader can be launched by a vanilla (dos) MBR, if the
partition the boot loader is on has been activated, that is, marked as bootable,
(and isn't too far, there may be a problem with big recent disks). This kind
of setup is the recommended one because you can afterwards put dos back easily.

The secondary boot-loader isn't on a boot-sector, it is in the boot.b file,
that is, on disk. It is /sbin/lilo which is in charge of giving the right
address to the first stage bootloader which reside on disk, on a partition boot
sector, or on the master boot record.

Hope I was clear enough...

fdisk is an utility that permits to activate a partition.

> By the way: muLinux does not feature a /etc/lilo.conf file (which contains
> all the setups for the LILO-configuration). For a cloned system, I think it
> could be a good to generate a "default" /etc/lilo.conf, especially, if you
> want to learn about linux - by installing.

The lilo.conf is generated on the fly by the clone script, if I remember well.
It is put in a place (in /tmp ?) if I remember well, but I am not sure at all.

I read the doc, LILO stops at LI when the second stage boot-looder cannot be
launched.
I had one day a problem with LILO stopping at LI. This was because I had
reformated my linux partition, so the boot.b file was erased and I had no
second stage boot-loader. But I think it isn't the same problem here.

Pat