Re: Cloning to harddisk, EXT2

From: Ralf Michael Fischer (ralf-michael.fischer@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 02:04:28 CEST

Am Dienstag, 1. Mai 2001 08:40 schrieb Michele Andreoli:
> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 01:16:54AM +0200, Fam. Coumans nicely wrote:
> > Using '/dev/hda1' instead of '/dev/hda' caused the 'LI'.
> > Now booting from harddisk works fine.
>
> Strange ... /dev/hda1 is a partition; /dev/hda, usually, refer to
> the whole device.

Michele is right, they do. And, if it works, Coumans is probably right too...
I suppose, you are talking about the target of the LILO-installation (I don't
have the whole thread at hand, so I have to guess).
In the /etc/lilo.conf -file this is specified in a line like
boot=/dev/hda

LILO installs a first-stage bootloader into the target-device. This one
resides in the Master-Boot-Record of a Floppy or a HardDisk. Because there is
only one MBR for one device, it makes sense only to specify the whole device
and not a partition inside/on it.

Another thing is the root-partition: When the LILO-first stage booter has
finished it's job, somehow (I think, this is the second stage) the kernel is
loaded. And the kernel needs to know, which partition will be mounted as /.
This is the root option (in lilo.conf it is root = /dev/hda1).

My hint is: If you have a "full" linux, look at the lilo.conf-manpage and at
the /etc/lilo.conf.

By the way: muLinux does not feature a /etc/lilo.conf file (which contains
all the setups for the LILO-configuration). For a cloned system, I think it
could be a good to generate a "default" /etc/lilo.conf, especially, if you
want to learn about linux - by installing.

Have a nice boot,

JanP