Re: new addon: poplog (long posting)

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 13:34:32 CEST

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> I used many times ago PROLOG (I think, one of more fashinating
> languages) but never known poplog.

I should perhaps make it clearer that poplog isn't itself a language.
It is a multi-language programming environment (code from the different
languages can be mixed, if you want to). Pop11 and prolog were the
first two languages implemented, hence the name. Common lisp and ML
were added later, as well as the ability to link in compiled object code
from C and other languages.

I am told that people wanting to pick up pop11 quickly have often found
the online primer at http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/primer/ to
be helpful. You can also download it from
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/pophtmlprimer.tar.gz if you
want your own local copy.

> I like much this subject but, concerning the little muLinux, I think
> there is no program capable to translate from fractured to good
> english!

Nor would it be desirable :-)

Stephen Isard