Re: strange ./mu problem

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 16:13:26 CET

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 03:48:20PM +0100, Dumas Patrice nicely wrote:

> does someone know a way to workaround the library loader problem ? That is,
> how to use a library loader that isn't located in a known directory ?? Maybe
> it isn't possible, as a
> $strings executable
> always have /lib/ld-linux.so.x in first place or so.
>
> Oh, I've got a solution: Michele, you provide a statically linked ld with mu
> and fdformat.o instead of fdformat. And you run prior to mu usage
> ld -o fdformat --dynamic-linker `pwd`/tree/lib/ld-linux.so.1 fdformat.o
> Maybe it should work... ;-)
>
> Pat

Having a mu unpacked in the tree/ directory, you can run every Mu command
using the MU libraries and dynamic loader with this trick:

                export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=tree/lib
                LOADER=tree/lib/ld-linux.so.1
                exec $LOADER tree/bin/command

This trick is very frequently used in commercial software distributions
under linux, such StarOffice (R), Mathematica (R), etc The installer is
able to run under every linux, more-or-less: indeed, they run under
mulinux!

But in order to unpack mu we need of "bzip2", or I have to provide
a statically linked bzip2 in the INSTALL_DIR/bin.

In the 11r11 I provided a bin/ directory, with fdformat
statically linked (useful to create floppy disk), but not bzip2.

Because fdformat is now deprecated, I have to accept a linux
system with no fdformat installed.

Oh mon dieu! A strange user the linux user which like to install mulinux
and has no bzip2 in its system!

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen