Re: Mulinux setup with ext2 partition

From: Ken Caldwell (kencaldwell@optushome.com.au)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 06:17:30 CET

Andrew Criswell wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I am having trouble installing Mulinux on my machine. I hope someone can
> help me out.
>
> I have a Digital DEC 486SL with 123 MB HDD and 8 MB of RAM. I have formatted
> the machine with a Linux ext2 primary partition and 16 MB Linux swap logical
> partition.
>
> I have the Mulinux version 11-8 on a collection of floppies and they work (I
> tried them out on another machine).
>
> When I try to install Mulinux, I get as far as the first boot floppy. I can
> load the USR partition. But then, when I move to the next floppy, I can get
> no further than 22% completed.
>
> In general, my question is this: is it possible to install Mulinux without
> any reliance on MS DOS?

A method I have used is to borrow another computer with more RAM (32MB
say!) and install in it the hard disk from your computer. Now you can
install mulinux. After returning the hard drive to your computer and
restoring the borrowed computer to normal you should have a working
mulinux distribution.

I used this method to install mulinux to a 386 with 4MB RAM and an 80MB
HDD.

regards,

Ken Caldwell