Re: Kernel with APM support

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (vessu@dlc.fi)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 10:56:10 CET

> VPP> There might be some other chances in the kernel, but I can't
> VPP> remember them, works well under IBM Thinkpad 360.
>
> VPP> Use at your own risk (I havenät had any problems with it,
> VPP> but..)
>
> VPP> http://www.saunalahti.fi/~vessu1/mulinuz.apm
>
> VPP> Registered Linux user number 189403
>
> VPP> Registered Linux machines 83873 & 83874
>
> <skip>
>
> Excuse me for a newbie question but what is the format of the
> kernel and how to use it? I d/l the file but dunno how to make
> use of it.

DON'T TRY THIS IN RAM-MULINUX.....

EXT-2 install

If you have an EXT-2 install with lilo, then follow theise steps:
1. Download the kernel
2. copy it to /boot directory
3. edit /etc/lilo.conf and add following lines

image=/boot/mulinuz.apm
        label=mulinuz.apm
        append="root=%INSERT YOUR ROOT PARTITION HERE%"

4. if you have a IBM thinkpad, you also need to add following after
root= "floppy=thinkpad" so the append line would be
append="root=/dev/* floppy=thinkpad"
5. if you like edit the default value, so that the new kernel is booted
automatically..

UMSDOS installation:
1. Copy the kernel to the same directory that contains the
loadlin.exe and the old kernel.
2. edit linux.bat so that it will load the mulinuz.apm kernel insted of
mulinuz kernel (just chance that one word and save under different
name..)

Registered Linux user number 189403
Registered Linux machines 83873 & 83874

"We are the Windows. Your life as you knew it is over. Your biological and
technological identities will be removed from our own. stability is irrelevant.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili
E-mail: depili@sci.fi
ICQ#: 12379430