Re[2]: SVGA and lucent winmodem

From: Serge Skorokhodov (usia@operamail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 09:41:43 CET

Hello Michele,

<skip>

>> 1. I failed to configure SVGA X-server that I've d/led from
>> http://sunsite.dk/mulinux/mu/misc/. Whatever I've tried was
>> wrong (I'm not experienced in 'timings' though). The videochip
>> is ATI Rage LT.

MA> I'm interested in a complete description of you done and also
MA> to see your startx.log.

Thanks for you interest in my probs and thanks ever more for the
great opportunity to install linux on my employer's laptop
without threatening my work. When I installed it a couple of my
colleagues (very skeptical towards linux actually) watched me and
they were very excited with the message "Press OK to reboot":) It
was real fun!

Just for info, everything except Compaq Global VL56 modem and
samba client were configured quick and easily. The setup is
wonderful! As for samba, I guess it was some wrong settings made
by me (or 'wry' WinNT DHCP?) rather something was wrong with
samba itself. All the folk could see and browse my machine from
winboxes anyway.

Unfortunately I experiment with my "office" notebook and remove
the installation afterwards. I'll try to reproduce the
installation as soon as I have spare time:( 'cause I'm determined
to have the nice penguin living inside my box.

<skip>

MA> ltmodem? This is a 2.0.36 modem?

I have to check it. I've downloaded it keeping Mandrake in mind.

Best regards,
 Serge Skorokhodov mailto:usia@operamail.com

PS. Taking the opportunity;) Another problem did exist. The
one related to with reboot/shutdown. In most cases when I started
reboot or shutting the laptop down everything was OK but the
power wasn't turned off and I had to remove the battery and
unplug mains. I'm not sure but it seems that if you just turn all the
power saving off (or mightbe just change the BIOS powersaving level
[you can do any time with special keys [[just in case;)]] ]) the
reboot/shutdown did work. As a workaround, I waited for the
message 'Now rebooting..." (I don't remember) and turn the power
off manually.