a bunch of suggestions: your opinion is welcome!

From: Maxim Belooussov (m.belooussov@chello.nl)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 23:11:08 CET

Here is a small list of nice things that might be interesting for
Michele and muLinux users. Please do not be very harsh - it's just a
suggestion, not an ultimatum ;)

Some of the suggestions have been born during the config time, some -
during installation time, some echo from the ones slightly discussed,
etc.

1. An automated script (something like - mu-upgrade), that connects to
ftp server and upgrades the installation - e.g. checkes what files have
been upgraded since the install time. It might be a little bit tricky
(running programmes and daemons), but I guess we'll never need to
upgrade the kernel anymore :)

2. Something similar, but for upgrading the files (programme version,
etc.). It may even be as advanced as SuSe's Yast-installer, but it would
first get the list of files available for install, then give the user a
choice. Neat? All you'd (hypothetically) have to do is install mu once,
then upgrade to "large disk" level.

3. I've already written this to Michele - 60 second delay at
setup-profile selection and then if no user input detected, boot the
last profile created. Could be useful for easy booting (by power-failure
event).

4. Now, when setting up SVGA and Netscape 3.0 is easier, it's about time
to release SVGA.tgz addon (and I am sure Michele works hard on this).
Netscape addon may also be on the wish-list. Unfortunately, no more
X-windows from RAM disk (I guess SVGA takes just too much compared to
VGA_16). Of course, not for RAM-rich machines.

I'm not going to talk about serious upgrading the system for being able
to run different programmes (or being able to compile them in the first
place), because it's not primarily what muLinux has been made for.

It would be nice to hear if it's at all possible and if anyone needs
such things.

Best wishes,

Maxim