Re: mu TECH: mu v11.5 boot disk setup bugs / "n" / pion

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 16:25:25 CET

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 04:55:57PM -0500, Alfie Costa nicely wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2001, at 13:43, Michele Andreoli <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:
>
> > Without USR you cannot create the TMP ramdisk: any ramdisk requires
> > the mkfs.ext2. So, you cannot load any onther addon, without the *first*
> > addon USR in memory. Why you answered "n" to /usr?
>
> Last night when writing my message, I thought about quoting Eliza "YOU ARE
> BEING A BIT NEGATIVE." or "ARE YOU SAYING 'NO' JUST TO BE NEGATIVE?"...
>
> Yes, I answered "n" just to be negative. The intention was only to confuse and
> crash the system. Which is a good thing, when looking for bugs, no?

Very good. I can accept the answer.

> Question: if /usr is necessary, why ask the user?

In some transient release, I removed this setup, indeed. After that, I
got problem with some logics, now forgotten.

Why ask the user? Because, at the beginning, the right answer for a
4M machine is "n". After that, the planned action at the prompt is "clone".

The USR segment is considered an addon. I tried to declass it in a simple
script in /etc/rc. After that I discovered that: the script should be
an exact copy of /setup/fun/LOADER. So, why to mantains two different
coding-stype for the same task?

> > AC> mc: not found
> >
> > Ok, you are joking.
>
> No no, seriously, I figured 'mc' would be a link to 'pion'...

Maybe, in the past, there was a such link. Do not remember.
I can add it, but surely this kind of links confuse a little.

> > AC> I type 'pion'.
> > AC>
> > AC> dialog: not found
> > AC> muless: not found
> >
> > yes, you are joking.
>
> No no no, in all earnest, 'pion' is useful for exploring the file tree. I
> wanted to look around at the bare-bones mu to see what might be wrong. 'pion'
> is easier than typing 'cd' and 'ls' and 'cat < myfile | more'.

Pion was always based on "muless" and "muless" is the USR addon.
That is never changed.

For a mistake (now fixed), a copy of "pion" is also in /bin, as well as
in /usr/bin. So, I removed /bin/pion.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen