Re: mu TECH: mu v11.5 boot disk setup bugs / "n" / pion

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 22:55:57 CET

On 18 Jan 2001, at 13:43, Michele Andreoli <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:

> Without USR you cannot create the TMP ramdisk: any ramdisk requires
> the mkfs.ext2. So, you cannot load any onther addon, without the *first*
> addon USR in memory. Why you answered "n" to /usr?

Last night when writing my message, I thought about quoting Eliza "YOU ARE
BEING A BIT NEGATIVE." or "ARE YOU SAYING 'NO' JUST TO BE NEGATIVE?"...

Yes, I answered "n" just to be negative. The intention was only to confuse and
crash the system. Which is a good thing, when looking for bugs, no?

Question: if /usr is necessary, why ask the user?

> AC> mc: not found
>
> Ok, you are joking.

No no, seriously, I figured 'mc' would be a link to 'pion'...

> AC> I type 'pion'.
> AC>
> AC> dialog: not found
> AC> muless: not found
>
> yes, you are joking.

No no no, in all earnest, 'pion' is useful for exploring the file tree. I
wanted to look around at the bare-bones mu to see what might be wrong. 'pion'
is easier than typing 'cd' and 'ls' and 'cat < myfile | more'.

I may remember wrongly, but didn't the older 'pion' versions allow one to
browse without first installing '/usr'? And yet 'pion' needs 'muless', so
maybe it did need '/usr' after all...