Re: a question of Mulinux and other Distros

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 20:23:31 CET

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:17:21AM -0800, grl nicely wrote:
> I have been looking for a floppy-based distribution of Linux that I can write my own
> embedded apps and access the output via a web server. *whew* I have looked at all
> the distros that are close to this application and Mulinux seems to be the
> best match.

To be honest, the best mini-distro that fit your pourpose is from
Russia: the FREESCO floppy. It is a single 1440K system and very
well-designed, with an remote HTML control.

The remote control is very different from the muRCP you find in
muLinux, because it is static, in this sense: if
I change somenthing in the Setup, muRCP immediately will reflect
the changes, without modification (it is only a CGI front-end to Setup)

One of the advantages of FREESCO against mulinux is a floppy
formatted at 1440K: this facilitate a lot the installation stage.

>I would need to take out some native apps so that my embedded apps
> would fit. The question is 2 parts:
> 1) Is Mulinux the best for this application or is there another distribution
> that might fit
> better?

Answered: with FREESCO you do not need to remove anything: you have
to add, something.

> 2) If Mulinux is the best to start with, what things could I take out based
> on my requirements below. Keep in mind that I will be compiling the apps on a
> different system so there is no need for the compiler.
>
> I need a distribution that:
> - fits on a 1772K floppy
> - a small configurable web server that supports CGI or other scripting

thttpd is wonderfull. The new in 11r6 supports authentication.
It is also in FREESCO.

> - automatically gets an IP via DHCP from an LRP router/firewall
> - about 300k left on the 1722K floppy for embedded apps
> - ftp/telnet servers so that new apps/webpages can be downloaded and run

All that is supported in FREESCO. But it is 1440K, so will have no
other disk space for your appps.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen