Re: Problems with Mulinux-9r5 - Can you help me?

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 11:30:49 CET

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 04:38:26PM -0500, Sven Conrad nicely wrote:

> Michele Andreoli wrote:
> >
> > In muLinux, the big problem is the bzip2 compressor: maybe the design is
> > not perfect. It take mega and mega of RAM when uncompress.
> >
> > One way to solve the problem, should be to introduce a new model (mu -i),
> > with two floppy, boot simply gzipped.
> >

> This would be great. The two floppy is there anyways. I had to use it
> before, because
> there are computers which are not stable booting from 1.7M disks. But
> two 1.4M Disks
> have 2.8M entirely. That is more than enough to use gzip instead of
> bzip.

Options (2) in the "mu -i" menu currently allows

                BOOT+ROOT (1440K) and USR (1440K)

but USR is still bzipped.
I will implement a (2)-variant with USR simply gizipped.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen