Re: Problems with 11r4 and SRV ?

From: Mark Roberts (mu@manumark.de)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 20:50:04 CET

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Michael Gruner wrote:

> i'v got a little problem to install the SRV addon with
> my new 11r4. There is th following:
> after typing setup -f SRV the box beginns then it
> writes Creating /dev/ram3 ramdisk ...
> mke2fs 1.10...
> then it counts up to:
> Completed 22%
>
> and then the box begins to swap itself to death after
> killing the bzip2 prozess it ends swapping, but the
> SRV isn't even installed ??? !!!

Sounds familiar. On a low memory machine bzip2 will use more memory than
is available. On my 486 with 4mb ram it takes about six hours to install
an addon. 95% of that time is consumed by unzipping (and untarring) the
addon. Even starting X doesn't take that long.

I don't think there's anything you can do about it, except do the
untarring by hand, from DOS. Or buy more memory. Sorry.

All the best, Mark